Best Topical Medications for Hair Loss
Hair loss can be one of the hardest parts of getting older. We live in a “hair” culture, where the color, thickness, and style of our locks is a huge part of our self image. Hair loss, then, can be a very disorienting experience and can have a large impact on our self-worth and confidence.
There are a few topical medications recommended by doctors for hair loss. Hair loss medication tends to affect men and women differently, so there are certain brands that are better suited for either gender. Below, we have compiled a list of each to ease your hair loss concerns.
Hair loss medication for women:
- Minoxidil (Rogaine): Though this medication was originally intended to treat high blood pressure, doctors found that Rogaine is also effective in treating hair loss. By applying the cream directly to the scalp, you can stimulate hair growth. A word of caution – the medication can cause excessive facial hair growth.
- Androgen Receptor Inhibitors: Aldactone and Cyproterone Acetate are both medicines that can help with hair loss in their cream form. However, they tend to be a last resort because of their high toxicity.
- Estrogen and Progesterone: These medications concentrated in creams are especially helpful for those who suffer from hair loss due to menopause or other hormonal defects.
Hair loss medications for men:
- Finasteride (Propecia, Proscar): This is a medication you apply daily and is one of the only FDA recommended medications for male pattern baldness.
- Minoxidil: Rogaine has different formulas for men and women. Generally, the cream is used mostly for extreme cases of male pattern baldness.
It’s important to note that while these solutions may provide temporary relief, there is no solution like Hairline Ink’s scalp micropigmentation procedure. In just two to three treatments, you can give the experience of a full head of hair that is long-lasting and effective. Plus, the side effects are less common and less severe than taking traditional medication. Call us at 585-250-0835, visit our website, or chat live with us today to discuss your options.