5 Major Causes of Hair Loss
If you are starting to notice a receding hairline or bald spots developing on your scalp, you may be wondering what’s changed about your body. There are lots of reasons that our bodies stop producing hair, and there may be ways to prevent hair loss from intensifying. Here are five (5) major causes of hair loss for both men and women:
- Severe Stress – One of the quickest ways to start losing hair is by experiencing a significant amount of physical or emotional stress. Major life events, like surgery, an unexpected job loss, or even giving birth, can negatively affect our hair cycle. This condition is called telogen effluvium.
- Poor diet – Your nutrition affects every part of your body, including your hair. A diet filled with processed foods and refined sugars that lack adequate nutrients can directly damage your hair. Make sure you are taking in a healthy balance of proteins, complex carbohydrates, and unsaturated fats to optimize hair growth.
- Thyroid problems – Thyroid conditions, such as hypothyroidism, can disrupt the body’s natural method for regulating growth and development, including that of hair. Once thyroid levels have returned to normal, the hair should start to grow again.
- Blood circulation – The body uses the bloodstream to deliver vital nutrients to the scalp’s hair follicles, so an unhealthy blood flow can lead to hair loss. As we age, the scalp’s blood flow naturally decreases, but other factors can also affect blood flow. Smoking, exposure to toxic chemicals, and a lack of exercise can create an unhealthy environment for hair.
- Androgenic alopecia – Also known as male pattern baldness, this condition can develop very early in a patient’s life. It is directly linked to the male sex hormone, dihydrotestosterone (DHT), which binds to the hair follicle and causes it to shrink. Over time, the follicle will stop producing any new growth.
Hairline Ink offers an effective solution for any type of hair loss at an affordable price. We work closely with our clients to determine the best type of treatment that matches their specific needs. To learn more about our permanent techniques and how we can help you manage hair loss, call us at (585) 250-0835 today!