No matter the reason, hair loss is never a welcomed experience and can have many negative consequences, like damage to your self-perception or self-worth. Hair is such an important part of maintaining your self-esteem that balding or thinning of hair can be a drastic change to your life. Unfortunately, it can affect women as well as men of all ages. If you’re currently experiencing hair loss, you may be looking for a way to take action other than prescription medications or expensive operations. Luckily, there are multiple solutions, one of which is to experiment with different types of hair care products.
One way you can treat hair loss at home is through an activity all of us do multiple times a week: shampooing. But with so many hair loss shampoos out there, how do you know what to look for and which ones are most effective?
No matter the brand, there are a few ingredients all hair loss shampoos need to contain to maximize their effectiveness. This includes:
- Ketoconazole – Proven to combat follicle DHT-sensitivity, a common reason for hair loss in men. Ketoconazole has proven to improve hair density, size, and proportion of anagen follicles.
- Caffeine – Along with waking us up and getting us through the day, caffeine can also fight against hair follicles production suppression.
- Biotin – Some research indicates hair loss is a result of a biotin (Vitamin B7) and zinc deficiency. Biotin can strengthen your follicles so they retain hair.
- Saw Palmetto – Used by Native Americans as medicine and food for centuries, extract from saw palmetto berries might block enzymes that change testosterone to the DHT (a common cause of hair loss).
Depending on the level of need, those suffering from hair loss can either choose a drug-based hair shampoo treatment or pursue a more natural option. If you are looking for a drug-free shampoo, you mostly want to look for oils like argon oil and peppermint oil (which can increase blood flow and skin cell production) and vitamins like biotin, trichogen, and follicusan (which can decrease itching and strengthen hair). For shampoos that incorporate FDA approved drugs, your best options are minoxidil and finasteride. These chemicals both are somewhat successful with continual use.
It’s important to be aware that most hair loss shampoos don’t work and are in fact marketing ploys by shampoo companies. Make sure you’re careful when looking online or walking through shampoo aisles and to use these shampoos in conjunction with other lifestyle changes such as an improved diet and exercise regimen. If you are going in the direction of shampoo to combat hair loss, here are some of the most highly recommended shampoos for those with alopecia and other such conditions:
- Hair Surge Shampoo – This shampoo contains caffeine and ketoconazole, both of which are commonly used to treat dandruff. It also has multiple essential oils.
- Nizoral A-D Anti-Dandruff Shampoo – This product reduces hair follicle inflammation and can help ease heavy-duty dandruff.
- Lipogaine Big Five All-Natural Shampoo – As stated in the name, this product is made of all-natural ingredients and is therefore gentle on the skin. It is also marketed for both men and women.
- Alpecin Caffeine Shampoo – This shampoo treats multiple scalp conditions and revives dormant hair roots that may cause thinning or balding heads.
- Lipogaine Big Five All-Natural Shampoo – Not only is it all-natural, but this shampoo is also marketed for all hair types and for both men and women.
- Ultrax Labs Hair Surge
- Shapiro MD Hair ReGrowth Shampoo
- PURA D’OR Anti-Hair Loss Shampoo
All of these shampoos are highly-rated and contain many of the critical ingredients necessary for slowing hair loss and even regrowing hair.
Even though these shampoos may offer a temporary solution, it is important to remember that the only permanent and guaranteed solution to the appearance of hair loss is scalp micropigmentation, available at Hairline Ink. Through a tattoo-like process, Hairline Ink can create the look of real, natural hair that lasts forever. We offer Scalp Micropigmentation in over 50 US cities. Call or text us today at 833-HAIR-INK (833-424-7465) to schedule an appointment, learn about our pricing, or get a free quote!