No matter the reason, hair loss is never a welcomed experience and can have many negative consequences, like damage to your self-perception or self-worth. Hair influences self-esteem greatly, so balding or thinning can drastically change lives. Unfortunately, it can affect women as well as men of all ages. You might seek solutions beyond medications or surgeries if hair loss troubles you. Luckily, there are multiple solutions, one of which is experimenting with different hair care products.
One way you can treat hair loss at home is through an activity all of us do multiple times a week: shampooing. But with so many hair loss shampoos, how do you know what to look for and which ones are most effective?
No matter the brand, there are a few ingredients all hair loss shampoos need to contain to maximize their effectiveness. This includes:
- Ketoconazole – Proven to combat follicle DHT-sensitivity, a common reason for hair loss in men. Ketoconazole has proven to improve hair density, size, and proportion of anagen follicles.
- Caffeine – Along with waking and getting us through the day, caffeine can also fight against hair follicle production suppression.
- Biotin – Some research indicates hair loss results from biotin (Vitamin B7) and zinc deficiency. Biotin can strengthen your follicles so they retain hair.
- Saw Palmetto – Native Americans have used Saw Palmetto for centuries, and its extract might block enzymes that convert testosterone to DHT, a factor in hair loss.
Depending on the level of need, those suffering from hair loss can choose a drug-based hair shampoo treatment or pursue a more natural option. Suppose you are looking for a drug-free shampoo. In that case, you mostly want to look for oils like argon and peppermint (which can increase blood flow and skin cell production) and vitamins like biotin, trichogen, and follicular (which can decrease itching and strengthen hair). Your best options for shampoos that incorporate FDA-approved drugs are minoxidil and finasteride. These chemicals are both successful with continual use.
Be cautious; many hair loss shampoos are mere marketing tactics. When shopping for shampoos online or in stores, be discerning. Also, complement their use with a better diet and exercise. If you are going in the direction of shampoo to combat hair loss, here are some of the most highly recommended shampoos for those with alopecia and other such conditions:
- Hair Surge Shampoo – This shampoo contains caffeine and ketoconazole, commonly used to treat dandruff. It also has multiple essential oils.
- Nizoral A-D Anti-Dandruff Shampoo – This product reduces hair follicle inflammation and can help ease heavy-duty dandruff.
- Lipogaine Big Five All-Natural Shampoo – As stated in the name, this product is made of all-natural ingredients and is gentle on the skin. They also market it for both men and women.
- Alpecin Caffeine Shampoo – Alpecin Caffeine Shampoo treats multiple scalp conditions and revives dormant hair roots that may cause thinning or balding heads.
- Lipogaine Big Five All-Natural Shampoo – Not only is it all-natural, but they also market it for all hair types and genders.
- Ultrax Labs Hair Surge
- Shapiro MD Hair ReGrowth Shampoo
- PURA D’OR Anti-Hair Loss Shampoo
These shampoos are highly rated and contain many critical ingredients necessary for slowing hair loss and even regrowing hair.
Even though these shampoos may offer a temporary solution, it is important to remember that the only permanent and guaranteed solution to the appearance of hair loss is scalp micropigmentation, available at Hairline Ink. Through a tattoo-like process, Hairline Ink can create the look of real, natural hair that lasts forever. We offer Scalp Micropigmentation in over 50 US cities. Call or text us today at 833-HAIR-INK (833-424-7465) to schedule an appointment, learn about our pricing, or get a free quote!