There are many different conditions and actions that can result in hair loss. What many people fail to realize, however, is that your environment may also be a factor. Putting yourself under extreme amounts of stress can make existing hair loss worse or cause the development of Telogen Effluvium.
What is Telogen Effluvium?
When you are stressed, your body reacts in a number of physical ways. You might have an upset stomach, a migraine, or even blurry vision, as your body cannot function normally due to the strain. Stress has a similar effect on your hair development. Normally, your body will have different growing and falling phases for each hair follicle, so hair strands fall out in varying intervals. When you are stressed, however, your body releases unfamiliar hormones and neurotransmitters that prematurely end the growing phase for entire sections of your hair, making your hair fall out all at once. You suffer from Telogen Effluvium when more than 20 percent of your hair reaches the resting phase.
What can I do?
Stress-related hair loss can cause large bald spots that many men and women find aesthetically unpleasing. It’s important to take care of this issue as soon as possible, so the damage does not become permanent. There are a few preliminary steps that you can take concerning your stress-related hair loss:
- Treat your hair gently – If you’re suffering from hair loss, it’s best to put the curling irons, rods, and straighteners away. Your hair needs to be protected from damage as much as possible to avoid any more hair loss.
- Modify your diet – Try to consume more vegetables, particularly leafy greens.
- Begin taking vitamin and mineral supplements – Many doctors recommend B12, iron, and folic acid supplements.
- Exercise – One of the main doctor-recommended ways to reduce stress is to get moving. Doing just ten minutes of yoga a day can significantly improve your mood.
- Breathe – Meditation is helpful for diffusing stress and quelling hair loss.
It’s important to note while these are great ways to start remedying your hair loss, most often they do not provide permanent results.
What is my best solution?
There’s only one real solution that provides immediate and permanent relief for hair loss. At Hairline Ink, we know that not all stress is avoidable – that’s why we recommend our scalp micropigmentation treatment. In just two to three easy treatments, you could have the look of a full head of hair, forever. We offer Scalp Micropigmentation in over 50 US cities. Call or text us today at 833-HAIR-INK (833-424-7465) to schedule an appointment, learn about our pricing, or get a free quote!