In the most basic terms, Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD) is a hyper-fixation on a flaw in appearance, regardless of whether that flaw is imagined or not. Many people have one or a few flaws about their bodies that they are not comfortable with, but BDD is often different in that it affects your life in some significant way, like if you’ve stopped going to work or school to avoid people. This is an extremely under-diagnosed disorder, despite also being treatable through therapy and medication. According to the International OCD Foundation, there are many signs that you or a loved one is developing BDD:
- You have frequent, perhaps unsolicited, thoughts about appearance
- You spend most of your time focused on the flaw when looking in a mirror and may avoid reflective surfaces as much as possible
- You cover up the area, perhaps with a hat or scarf
- You frequently ask friends or loved ones, even acquaintances, to let you know that you look okay
- You make appointments with doctors or cosmetic surgeons fairly often
- You have had multiple surgeries to make the problem better
- You compulsively touch the affected area
- You go to great lengths to avoid any social situation, including work and school
- You rarely leave the house or only go out when it’d be difficult to see you well
If you or a loved one is showing any of these signs, it’d be in your best interest to seek medical help. Those experiencing hair loss make up a vast proportion of those affected by BDD, and failure to get it diagnosed can lead to years of anxiety or depression. BDD affects many people of all genders (about 40% men and 60% women) and ages (BBD usually begins in the preteen years, and two-thirds of people will begin having these symptoms before 18).
Even in the cases where BDD is controlled with medication and therapy, hair loss can still bother those who experience it. With the help of treatment like scalp micropigmentation, many people have described feelings of immense relief and return to their lives with confidence.
Have questions about hair loss? Hairline Ink has the answers. If you or someone you know is suffering from hair loss, contact our team of experts to learn how scalp micropigmentation can help you to defy hair loss and reinvent the way you feel. We offer Scalp Micropigmentation in over 50 US cities. Call or text us today at 833-HAIR-INK (833-424-7465) to schedule an appointment, learn about our pricing, or to get a free quote!