Fact or Fiction: Is coconut oil a natural remedy to hair loss?
Many people have a go-to solution for most of their beauty problems, be it vitamins, a good diet, or a variety of natural oils, one of the most prevalent being coconut oil. For many, it’s simply a good moisturizer, and for others, it can even help to strengthen their hair. However, people should proceed with caution: this natural, catch-all remedy for many parts of one’s beauty routine can have a devastating effect on people with the wrong kind of hair.
To begin, what are the benefits of coconut oil? It makes sense that so many people use this product to enhance their looks, especially for the health of their hair:
- Coconut oil and our bodies’ natural Sebum—the oil your body produces specifically to keep your hair from drying out—are very similar
- Lauric acid, found in coconut oil, binds to the proteins in your hair, strengthening the strands
- Roots covered in oil, whether your own or another natural oil, will keep them healthy
- Coconut oil is better able to seep into the hair, protecting it and providing antioxidants and other nutrients.
- Regardless of whether you’re using coconut oil or another natural oil, a simple scalp massage can increase blood flow to the area, allowing the follicles to better utilize the nutrients in the oil
All of this seems like the perfect recipe for a full, luscious head of hair, but it’s important to remember that this simply helps the hair you already have on your head. In cases of hair loss such as alopecia and male pattern baldness, strengthening your hair itself may not affect how much hair you lose.
There are also many for whom coconut oil is actually the opposite of beneficial. Depending on your hair type, coconut oil can end up clogging your follicles, cutting them off from your natural supply of oil and water that you put on your head. Because your hair needs both of these things, follicles that are so full of coconut oil cannot absorb the moisture they need to stay healthy.
If you’re done experimenting with natural remedies that don’t work the way you want, it may be time to consider scalp micropigmentation as a solution to your hair loss appearance. Contact the Hairline Ink team at (585) 250-0835 today!