The Complete Guide to Scalp Micropigmentation
How micro hair tattoos have restored the confidence of thousands
If you want guaranteed results that look natural and actually relieve the frustrating effects of hair loss, Scalp Micropigmentation is the choice for you.
Scalp Micropigmentation Treatment Overview
Scalp Micropigmentation (SMP) is a highly advanced method of cosmetic pigmentation (tattoo). While similar to traditional tattooing, it is also unique in a variety of ways.
SMP involves the use of specialized equipment (needles, machines, and pigments) along with special techniques to inject pigment into the scalp, in order to create the look of a hair follicle.
Scalp Micropigmentation is an extremely intricate procedure, and because it is a form of tattooing, you leave our office with guaranteed, permanent results.
Each client’s needs are unique. At Hairline Ink, during each treatment our pigment is tailored to your exact skin color and type.
The treatment at Hairline Ink is administered softly, in a gentle approach, and results look unbelievably natural.
The quality of your treatment depends on two things:
- Using the correct machines, micro-needles and pigments
- Getting your treatment from the most skilled and experienced practitioners.
The All-Star Team at Hairline Ink has a combined experience in SMP of more than 25 years.
Our incredibly passionate staff, their years of experience, and high company-wide standards give us an advantage over many SMP providers who have taken only 1 to 2 weeks of training, in many cases not even working on lives models before opening up a clinic of their own.
Because we were founded with a mission to be leaders in the Scalp Micropigmentation industry, all of our practitioners undergo extensive 3-month apprenticeships led by trainers whose expertise is undeniable and have a record of proven results, and continue to learn through cross-training with each other, colleagues, and by attending SMP conferences around the globe.
Who SMP (Hair Tattoo) is For and What it Solves
One common misconception is that this only helps people seeking that “freshly-shaved” look. That is simply not true. With the process of micropigmentation at Hairline Ink, you can expect us to help:
Click on the links above or continue reading for more information about each of these services.
Click here for information about pricing, or go to the bottom of this page.
What to Expect at Your Micropigmentation Sessions
Treatment is typically completed across 2-3 sessions. Below, we’ll take you through the process step-by-step:
- Your initial consultation appointment is first. Consultations can be done in-person, over the phone, or over video chat via Skype, FaceTime, etc, in order to gain an understanding of what results you want to achieve from your treatment. Our experts will guide you through the process and help you decide which style is best for you. We then create a plan of action, mapping out what is required to reach your goal and get the results you desire.
- Next, treatment begins. Years of experience have taught us that it’s best to be conservative on your first treatment in order to achieve the optimal end result. This initial session is to lay the foundation of your new look. After the first treatment, your scalp will be a little red, but within a single day this typically returns to normal.
- The second treatment allows us to fill in more detail and go a shade darker than your initial session. This session is where your treatment really comes to life, and your new look is perfected. Any concerns, questions or requests will be handled during this meeting
- Occasionally, but not always, a third procedure may take place. Third treatments are typically done by the request of the client, if they would like to go even darker.
During your consultation, we will talk to you about exactly what results you want to get, and ensure a custom procedure, designed to give you the desired effects that you’re looking for.
When we implant our ink into the affected area, we carefully match our pigment your natural hair color with skillful precision.
Many clients report minimal discomfort during the procedure, and an immediate lift in self-confidence after only a single session.
- Heard enough?
- Get in touch!
- Not quite ready?
- Continue for pics, videos, & more
SMP Styles and Hairline Options
There are a variety of options/styles available. We have outlined some of the most popular below:
The Permanent Edge Up
The “Edge Up”, which is also known as the “Jamie Foxx”, is an extremely popular choice. With this particular procedure, it is very important to begin conservatively with the hairline. There is a lot of preparation required before starting to create the hairline and a side temple area first. We carefully match the color and density precisely during these procedures to create the illusion of a head full of hair with a sharp hairline, in addition to a robust and youthful edge-up. Hairline Ink creates the very best edge-up styles which are often sought after by celebrities.
Soft Hairline and Widowed Peak
Many people want their current hairline lowered, replenishing where it has receded over time, and giving the appearance of fuller hair and a clean hairline. We follow the natural hairline by layering the impressions, thus giving the realistic appearance of hair with no hard line. We make sure to match the ink color perfectly to that of the client, resulting in an incredibly effective and strikingly natural result.
Adding Density to Thinning Hair
Men and women of all ages have found Scalp Micropigmentation as their solution to cover or fill in thinning hair. Thinning can result in a wide, undesirable scalp area showing through the hair. Typically, the person will have an even coverage across the scalp, but the density drops as the hair loss progresses. Scalp Micropigmentation replaces the lost density, resulting in the appearance of an even, full head of hair.
With this focused and specialized approach, we treat the front hairline and let blend into your existing density with a natural look. The initial treatment is gentle and soft, increasing density throughout the rest of the thinning hair. Over multiple sessions, we also create a three-dimensional effect, giving the appearance of a natural shadow. This technique is a great choice for you if you have had a hair transplant but didn’t end up with the desired density.
Covering Up Hair Restoration Surgery Scars
If you have had a hair transplant, you may have been left with scars as a result of this procedure. Some of our clients have come to us after having as many as FIFTEEN hair transplants!
In general, it is our opinion that most hair transplants are not as effective as Scalp Micropigmentation due to the limitations on a person’s available donor hair. Many do not even qualify for any hair restoration surgery for lack of enough donor hair.
After undergoing FUE or strip scar surgery, people are commonly left with severe scarring, plug holes on their heads, and a resulting sense of insecurity.
People are often left with only two choices: They can continue having multiple hair restoration treatments that leave patients with more scars and cost even more money, or proceed with Scalp Micropigmentation, which gives you a guaranteed result, putting an end to frequent hair transplant surgeries, all while covering up the scars from previous surgeries.
Seems like a pretty easy choice, right?
The technique we use at Hairline Ink doesn’t just cover the scars, but also gives the appearance of a fuller head of hair by adding density to places on the scalp where the hair restoration was not effective, giving you the renewed sense of confidence you were looking for at your initial hair restoration surgery.
Because of the ability to camouflage surgical scars and to add density to failed hair transplants, scalp micropigmentation is the perfect solution for the effective concealment of scars of all kinds: FUT strip scars, FUE (Follicular Unit Extraction) scars, scalp reduction scars, and Historic Plug or Cobblestone scars from old-fashioned hair restoration procedures.
For scar cover up there are two options:
- Keep your hair long, in this case we will go under the hair to camouflage the scar.
- The second option, is to shave your hair down in order to blend it into the follicles and completely camouflage the scars. This option is the recommended choice and takes between 2-3 sessions for the optimal results to be achieved.
(Clients experience redness immediately following treatment, from anywhere from 30 minutes to 8 hours, depending on their skin type.)
Adding Density to Hair Transplant Procedures
Many hair replacement physicians will refer their clients to Hairline Ink to augment a hair transplant. Scalp Micropigmentation can work with hair transplant as a pre-planned combination procedure.
By combining traditional hair restoration and Hairline Ink’s highly advanced technique, the client has double the benefits: real texturized hair, with the appearance of thickness and fullness that only Scalp Micropigmentation can provide — a truly innovative way to achieve real results.
It is best to visit us in person for a consultation to decide at which stage of your hair transplant Scalp Micropigmentation should be performed. In the majority of cases, the hair transplant procedure should be done in the first instance. However, there may be cases in which the Scalp Micropigmentation should begin before the medical procedures. A consultation with Hairline Ink is always recommended, as we love speaking with potential clients to answer any and all questions you may have.
Scalp Micropigmentation Treatments for Women
Many women suffer from hair loss and thinning hair. Even though most people associate hair loss with male pattern baldness, a surprising 40% of balding Americans are women.
Hairline Ink specializes in creating an underlying effect, which creates the appearance of a natural, full head of hair. If you can see scalp, we cover this up to allow for it to look healthy and full.
Scalp Micropigmentation is perfect if you are a woman who is thinning on the top or across the crown section of your head. We have worked with and treated many female alopecia and surgery scar clients.
Why People Choose Scalp Micropigmentation
Scalp Micropigmentation will give you a look of a full head of hair, just after a fresh – close cut hairstyle. No one will notice that it is an ink treatment, you can return to work the day after your procedure and people will think you look great, but they will have no idea that you underwent treatment. The look of our Scalp Micropigmentation is so real that no person or camera will ever pick up on your secret.
There are a wide range of reasons you may be looking into Scalp Micropigmentation as your hair loss solution. We have treated thousands of clients, each with differing reasons and causes of hair loss. Whatever the reason, Scalp Micropigmentation is your best option.
With regular hair transplant procedures, particularly FUE, most hair-density will be lost within the first few months, so it can often take up to a year to get the best results out of those procedures.
With the Scalp Micropigmentation technique, density will be added, and the desired results start to appear immediately after treatment commences.
The length at which your hair can be kept after the completion of both procedures is entirely dependent on your individual hairstyle. With the combined approach, you can have more density and fullness without the need to shave. After several months or years, you may want to have your treatment touched up.
Hair-Related Diseases and Treatment
There are many different types of hair related diseases. Sometimes as a side effect of medication, you may start to lose your hair and experience a thinning of the hair.
- Lupus is becoming increasingly common in diagnosis globally and one of the biggest side effects that sufferers of this disease have to contend with is hair loss.
- Thyroid problems, specifically in a woman can lead to a scattered loss of hair, caused by both under and overactive thyroids.
- Alopecia is a hair loss disease that affects many men and women of all ages. It can begin to appear unexpectedly with no initial symptoms, and currently, there is no definitive cure that has been discovered.
- Cancer and HIV are also two major diseases which can lead to thinning or a complete loss of hair as well.
Typical treatment options that are commonly available for those affected by hair loss are expensive, ineffective, and simply do not work. These options sometimes include painful corticosteroid injections, topical corticosteroid creams and lotions, minoxidil, dithranol creams, and surgeries.
Hairline Ink offers a simple, cost-effective, guaranteed solution, using the Scalp Micropigmentation treatment to defy hair loss and completely end the frustration of Alopecia Areata, Totalis, Universalis, Lupus and many other hair loss related illnesses.
Traditional Alternatives to SMP
While there are many available options for treating hair loss, most are unreasonably expensive, unreliable, and add to your frustration instead of relieving it.
- Hair transplants often leave nasty scars and typically cost far more than the value you receive.
- Hair Clubs are also very expensive and can require literally a lifetime of returning and maintaining.
- Wigs are another option, but most men simply don’t feel comfortable with the potential embarrassment which can be caused by a displacement.
- Wigs also need continual maintenance, and the reality of it is this: wigs rarely do a convincing job of covering up hair loss.
The Price of SMP & Financing Options
After reading about everything that goes into micropigmentation, from the different ways treatment can help to the way treatment works, our average client with male pattern baldness falls within a pricing range of $1,800 to $3,200. (A simple scar cover-up may be less, and severe forms of hair loss may be more.) Of course, pricing for this kind of treatment isn’t going to be a one-size-fits-all kind of deal. Instead, there are a number of factors that will help us determine exactly how much your treatment is going to cost you:
- Treatment Area: whether you’re facing male pattern baldness, alopecia, or complete baldness, the total amount of area we have to cover will be a large factor in your pricing. If the human head has an average of 100,000 hair follicles, how many follicles do we have to replicate?
- Skin Type: If you have particularly dry or sensitive skin, additional considerations will have to be made by our team in how to treat you without hurting your skin. If you have lots of scar tissue or thick skin, we might need more treatments than someone without those things.
- Scarring: scar tissue takes a special kind of attention. If you have light scarring, then everything may proceed as normal, but if there is a lot of scarring or they are dark or thick, then there are a number of options to choose from on how to realistically hide that tissue.
- Hair Density and Style: This will determine many things, from the colors we have to use to the number of follicles we have to replicate to the actual style of micropigmentation treatment you want to go with.
The most reliable way for us to give you a pricing amount is to come in person for a consultation, but if you send us a few pictures of yourself along with a description, we can get back to you in one to two days with a quote.
A Message from the Team:
We understand that we’re not the cheapest option, but we pride ourselves on having a highly-trained team of technicians, a fast and friendly customer support team, and state-of-the-art offices in iconic, easy-to-access locations. Before you start to shop around for a cheaper option from a provider who may cut corners or lack experience in SMP, we encourage you to talk with us about our current promotions and financing options.
Once you’ve talked with our team to discuss your treatment plan and received a quote, you’ll be able to apply for financing with one of our third-party lenders. You’ll apply with them directly, and upon approval, they release the funds to us before your treatment so there are no issues when you arrive at our office. It’s fast and easy to apply.
About Hairline Ink
Whatever your circumstances may be, the entire team at Hairline Ink are passionate about helping individuals suffering from all forms of hair loss. Each member of our All-Star Team has personally dealt with hair loss / hair loss related confidence issues and eventually turned to Scalp Micropigmentation. Our goal- to help people suffering from any and all forms of hair loss to look and feel their absolute best.
We at Hairline Ink truly view our practitioners’ work as a form of art, and our talented technicians pour their passion into each and every client they work with. All of our practitioners not only preform SMP, but have also found SMP as the solution in their own lives. Having experienced hair loss themselves, our practitioners know just how emotional this issue is for individuals, and want you to know that we understand exactly what you’re going through.
Before / After Photos and Video Testimonials