Dandruff is almost never the sole cause of hair loss. However, to be clear, if you are genetically predisposed to going bald or have a condition such as androgenic alopecia, the presence of dandruff can catalyze the hair loss process. Most people with dandruff experience a flaky, itchy scalp. Dry scalp causes most people to scratch their head which in turn can harm the hair follicles. Though scratching your head will certainly not be the sole cause of hair loss, damaging your follicles will not promote healthy hair growth.
What is Dandruff?
Dandruff is a common condition of the skin on the scalp which causes it to dry out and flake off into the surrounding hair. The exact cause of dandruff can often be traced back to various factors including:
- Dry skin – Overwashing your hair, rinsing your scalp with hot water, and not drinking enough water can cause dry scalp.
- Malassezia – This is a type of fungus that grows on scalps naturally. Dandruff can occur if your skin becomes irritated by the presence of Malassezia.
- Seborrheic dermatitis – Those with Seborrheic dermatitis often notice a red, oily, scaly rash. Dandruff caused by Seborrheic dermatitis tends to have red or yellow flakes.
- Contact dermatitis – Certain products like shampoos, conditioners, and dyes that irritate your scalp can cause contact dermatitis.
Your doctor or dermatologist can help you pinpoint exactly what is causing your dandruff so that you can take meaningful steps to effectively treat it.
General Dandruff Treatment
To get a more individualized treatment plan, you should have a doctor examine your scalp. However, the following strategies can be helpful in treating dandruff:
- Hydrate – Drink more water. When in doubt, always drink more water.
- Rinse with cold water – While hot showers can be great, exposing the skin on your scalp to excessive heat will irritate the skin and dry it out.
- Find a dandruff shampoo – Cleansers containing pyrithione zinc, Ketoconazole, selenium sulfide, and salicylic acid are all meant to treat dandruff.
- Condition – Those with especially oily hair may be wary of using conditioner, but your scalp needs moisture after you use shampoo. Skipping regular conditioning can exacerbate dry scalp. Take the extra step and condition.
While dandruff is not the sole cause of hair loss, it can compromise the health of your scalp. The healthier your scalp is, the better it is able to support hair growth. This being said, some people are genetically predisposed to hair loss.
There are plenty of steps that you can take to reverse the appearance of hair loss. The team at Hairline Ink offers scalp micropigmentation services to fill in thinning spots, restore a receding hairline, or create a totally new look. We offer Scalp Micropigmentation in over 50 US cities. Call or text us today at 833-HAIR-INK (833-424-7465) to schedule an appointment, learn about our pricing, or get a free quote!